Thursday, January 10, 2008

Queenstown

Queenstown is class and glad we've stayed here for a good few nites. There is so much to do here you could spend a fortune! Weather has been really good since we've arrived as well, in mid-twenty's during day. At nite though it gets pretty cold, heard on radio that it was 5 degrees, which is cold when ure in a tent like, though ok its not quite as bad as it is at home, but its meant to be summer here!

The hot air balloon trip was really good, an early start at 5am, so as to be up before sunrise. We were about an hour in the air in total, and went upto height of 6,500ft, really cool views of Queenstown area, lakes, mountains and glaciers in distance. After landing we had a champagne breakfast(whatever ure used to ya know!), this after helping out with packing up balloon itself. Went up on gondola in afternoon and did a few laps on luge track which was pretty good.

This morn though we did the sky-dive and I don't think anything else could top it off, I can't tell ya how good it was (Finn and KC know!). Instructors were really good and nerves were gone, even when I was sitting at 12,000ft with door open in the plane, I was dying to jump out. I thought I'd have my eyes closed for first bit, but glad I kept them open, jumping out and rolling seeing the plane above you in the distance was unreal. The freefall itself was def the best bit. Wish now that I had gone with getting the skydive recorded as would like to look back on it. All I can say that when we landed I wanted to go on the next plane up and do it allover again!

One more nite in Queenstown tonite and driving to Milford Sound tomorrow morning.

Kevin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How do. Sounds like ye're still having a blast! The skydive is class alright. Some feeling for the freefall. The parachute bit takes ages though. Especially when you've got a Ben Stiller lookalike with a handlebar moustache strapped to your back! Bloody hell...Ye should try a bungy jump. The Kawaru river one in Queenstown is class, although ye're after leaving now I suppose. Milford sound is a cool spot although we couldn't actually see it coz of all the rain! They say though that you should really see it twice, once in the rain and once in the dry. Spectacular both ways. Ye've really gone all culchie with this tenting lark. Sounds cold! And champagne breakfasts?! Only in New Zealand does all that come together!!! Anyhoo, keep up the blog and enjoy ye're selves! Back to work I guess... :(